Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Twitter and Me


     Twitter is an online social networking service and micro blogging service that enables its users to send and read text-based messages of up to 140 characters, known as "tweets". It is an online networking that enables multiple communities to communicate. Personally until this class twitter was a way for me to communicate with my friends and post silly statuses that were practically meaningless. I recently created a professional twitter to follow other teachers and students interested in teaching.

      In class my professor gave us a quiz on twitter. We were allowed to all communicate through a hash tag and discuss what we thought was the best answer to the question posted. While he was describing the assignment I really didn’t understand how useful twitter would be. When the quiz started it became very clear how remorseful twitter can be. Through reading others comments and tweeting with classmates I learned more about the chapter then I would have ever grasped reading it and taking a quiz alone. Some may call it cheating that we all tweeted each other the answers but I thought we all learned more than we ever could on our own. We created a small Professional learning community (PLC) inside our classroom. We all collaterally worked together using everyone as a unique addition to the answer created.

     Through this experience I have learned just how useful twitter can be. Twitter has expanded so much further than just social networking it can be a whole new way of learning information. As a teacher I can benefit so much from this. I will be able to connect with other teachers who are dealing with the same problems I’ll come across and they might have different ways to solve it or help me learn more about how to solve it. It will also help me to create new lessons and ways to teach. I will become part of a global wide teaching community. This is something I never thought would be possible when I chose this career.

    Not only will twitter be useful for my personal learning but for my class as well. I can connect with the students and their parents to have surveys or even quizzes just like what I was given. I can also use it to understand my students better and allow them to maybe voice their opinions in a different way. I am majoring in early and special education, for special education student’s twitter might be a better way for them to answer questions and understand my lesson. They can connect to other students like them and try and figure out the problems on their own and talk to other students just like them. Twitter has really expanded the learning community and allowed everyone to become connected in a unique way that I never thought could happen.  
Follow me on Twitter to connect with me! @grace_flynn16

4 comments:

  1. Grace, I really like how you introduced your blog post by stating what Twitter is. For anyone who doesn't know what Twitter was probably would find this to be extremely helpful! Your post is very neat, organized and informational! (: You did a really great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very informational as well as easy to read. I love how you incorporated the reading from the class in as well as how you plan to use it. I really like how you added your twitter at the bottom! :) That was a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you stated that you would like to use Twitter as an educational tool in your future classroom setting. I like how you mentioned that you would use it to get to know your students better and use it so that they can state their opinions. It is always important to have a good relationship with your students and that will be a great way to start one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you described what Twitter was in case someone reading your blog had no idea what it was. I also think it was great for you to put your Twitter name on here for people to follow you!

    ReplyDelete